Starting today, more than 19,000 Delta Air Lines flight attendants will be using new Windows Phone 8 devices from Nokia to facilitate on-board purchasing to improve their customer experience.
I was thrilled to be a part of this effort from the Microsoft side while working jointly with AT&T and Avanade to help Delta flight attendants improve their in-cabin experience. Delta will begin using the Nokia Lumia 820 that will work over in-cabin Wi-Fi and AT&T’s 4G LTE data network.
The app that brings everything to life is a Point of Sale (POS) solution from Avanade that leverages the Microsoft Dynamics for Retail mobile point-of sale platform. This new solution allows flight attendants to offer:
- Near real-time credit card processing for on-board purchases as well as upgrades to Delta’s popular Economy Comfort seating. On-board Economy Comfort upgrades will begin on transcontinental and international flights before being offered on flights across Delta’s system.
- Convenient eReceipts that can be emailed to customers.
- Customers’ use of pre-paid credit cards for on-board purchases.
- Quicker transaction processing times.
- In the near future, the ability to read coupons displayed on a customer’s mobile device.
- More efficient service recovery.
Sharing my knowledge and helping others never stops, so connect with me on my blog at https://robtiffany.com , follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/RobTiffany and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/robtiffany
Sign Up for my Newsletter and get a FREE Chapter of “Mobile Strategies for Business!”